martes, 29 de mayo de 2018

Mental health warriors

We are ending mental health awareness month and it seems appropriate to give recognition to the people who make this all happen and at the same time, make all worth it: mental health warriors.
I don't think there is a better way to prove that speaking up about mental health is worth it than spending time with another person that is going through something similar. As a psychologist I learned a lot of theories but it was only until I saw in my own skin and in the stories of those that I care about, the urgency and need of a change in the whole conception of mental health that I convinced myself of the importance of speaking up. Yes, the truth is that it isn't a easy road, and that you'll find a lot of bumps along the way. And also another truth is that we need more than testimonies to make a change, we need policies and educational programs. But also we need urgently a huge social change which can be lead by all those brave warriors who dare to accept in the light of a conversation with someone that they, too, have a mental health condition. That they go to therapy and take medications, and have a psychiatrist or psychologist or both, that there has been way too many sleepless and fearful nights and that their minds have way more horrible, intrusive thoughts than anyone can possibly imagine.
In my personal journey it was a process before I could come out of the mental health closet, as I like to call it. First I needed to digest the information myself, then share it with my closest friends and family and eventually I spoke about it with more and more people. It took me 5 years until I decided that I needed to speak up in order to give others a voice, a comfort and a representation, but I highly doubt it would have happened if my life hasn't been stopped completely. When everything is turned upside down and people inevitably started asking questions and wondering, I needed to come clean. And not just with the basic simple diagnostic answer, but with educational responses. Because people need to learn that it happens. More than they think about and in a different way than the stereotypical one.
And the beautiful thing was that many people were encouraged, either to speak to me directly about their experiences or to share them with their loved ones while creating more awareness and education. Those are my warriors and the people who make it all worth it: no matter if you just started this journey or if you gave a huge step like coming clean about your diagnosis on social platforms, or if you had the awkward conversation with the parent who thought "mental illnesses will never invade my perfect family". To those who struggle daily but still get up and get to work or to study or at least manage to get a bath, who got help, even if there are weeks in which one can just hate their therapist and if there are days when you aren't sure if you took your medications or didn't but still make their best efforts. To those who just get nerve-racking anxiety 2 or 3 days before any social event but still manage to show up even if it's just for some minutes. To all of us who've learned to accept our conditions as that: conditions that don't define us and that we may never cure but sure will learn to live with them. To all of us who laugh when people tell us that we are very brave to live the life we have, because we know that it isn't like we had chosen it and the remaining option is simply to disappear from this world, which we hardly try to make sure isn't even on the map.
To all fellow warriors, I salute you. Thank you for the inspiration.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

El 2020: Caos, incertidumbre y cosas que no hemos perdido.

 En estos tiempos de incertidumbre, hemos podido ver que nuestra salud mental y física han sufrido bastante por distintos motivos. Esta sema...