jueves, 15 de junio de 2017

"Why do you speak about suicide and depression so much?"

I was searching for a new cover photo for my Facebook, and I stumble upon the following quote: "I am mentally ill. I can say that. I am not ashamed of that. I survived that, I'm still surviving it, but bring it on. Better me than you." by no other but the Princess Leia herself, Carrie Fisher. And I started re-reading some of her powerful words, and God, what an advocate she was. 

I don't recall her movies quite particularly (Sorry, not a Star Wars fan), but I remember that the moment I started reading this kind of empowering-Life goes on beyond the diagnosis quotes, I saw so many of Carrie's words. And she was absolutely honest, she was funny and real and her words were so absolutely raw but real that... She clearly knew what she was talking about, and she clearly knew how to get to people. Because she didn't gave us the "happy shinny people" speech that you usually get when you admit a mental condition or a suicidal ideation. She told you how crappy the journey was, but also that it comes a point in which you learn how to live in the tornado, or get used to the ups and down, and somehow enjoy the ride. You see that what you have is what there is, and to make the best out of it.
And I chose that photo, and 5 minutes later (No more) I took it down. Why? I think I could listen to some people I know telling me to not define myself by my mental health conditions, or that those could be taken away by praying or with a careful treatment, or with even more patient. Because I believe that we aren't ready, still, to be comfortable with our mental health conditions, or to accept them, or to fight with them openly. And I started thinking about how supportive people had been in the past months since this blog started and my articles went up in The Mighty. But I also remember someone's frightened face asking me if my blog had my name on it, if it was public, and if I wasn't scared of having tourists in the darkest places of my mind and story. I remind myself of those parts that our minds hide, and how after my blog was on a family member of mine stopped talking to me (until today) and my psychiatrist phone rang like crazy. And everyone would just ask me "Why?", "Why you need to scream it to the world?", "Why does even stranger need to know about your mental state?". I haven't had a clear answer until these past weeks.
I'm a true believer, that once someone becomes open with their state of mind, it gives others "safety" to become clear and speak up too. And there is so much that needs to be work on in the mental health department. Just this past weekend I read an article on The Mighty on testimonies of people who had been discriminated, in our day and time, for their mental health conditions. For people finding out they take psychiatric meds. For asking a time off from work because a mental health crisis. 
And people still wonder why we fight, why we speak up, why we share our stories, why we become advocates.
Because it makes no sense to be discriminated for something you can't control, for a condition you didn't chose, for something you aren't faking. Who would dare to discriminate someone for having cancer, or diabetes, or kidney failure?
And I dare (which is absolutely unfair with Princess Leia) to compare myself to Carrie Fisher in an aspect: When you have the biological, chemical, and genetic confirmation that you are stuck with your mental condition FOR LIFE, you choose to take a stand. Because you know that there's not a better tomorrow, and either you make peace with your mind or you let it kill you. As simple as that.
Funny thing, the ones who don't suffer it will tell you you are letting a diagnosis define you. No you aren't. You are accepting the game rules, and you are loving your whole, broken, dark, self. You aren't saying "I don't do this because of my depression", you are screaming "I'll do this and kick butts no matter my depression".
Because one thing is clear, but people mistake it so much: You have a condition that means that you work differently, but that doesn't define what you can or can't do. It's like saying because someone likes people from his same gender, he shouldn't be allowed to make something. Or the same applies with race. See why it is important to fight for this? It's a matter of education, empowerment and opportunity. Of people in the future being educated in an accepting society which won't gossip about them just because they say their parents have certain mental condition. Because all the acceptance in minorities and people seen somehow differently, the little advances we see nowadays, started by "crazy ones with huge mouths" that were proud of being like that. And the same is happening with mental health awareness, therefore I declare myself a crazy one with a huge mouth who won't stop until people are more educated.

Yes, probably it's all I ever talk about. Because I take my advocacy seriously. Because I've been discriminated. Because I've been hiding way too much in the mental health stigma closet. Because people have assigned me every single one of their assumptions, and made me every single one of their remarks because I have "a very good life to be mentally ill.". I've been in the other side, I didn't ask for help for several months and it was a huge mistake, I've hidden my self harm acts and suicide ideation and bigger mistake. So if my experience doesn't help to inform and empower others, what is it all for? If I keep quiet, the statistics in depression and suicide will keep rising, but at least if I speak up, I know the people who reach out to me, are being helped and the ones (More than 8,200 people, thank you <3) who read this can be educated, can be taught, can be warned, can be helped.
So why? Because, as Mrs. Fisher would say "I am mentally ill. I can say that. I am not ashamed of that. I survived that, I'm still surviving it, but bring it on. Better me than you.".

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario

El 2020: Caos, incertidumbre y cosas que no hemos perdido.

 En estos tiempos de incertidumbre, hemos podido ver que nuestra salud mental y física han sufrido bastante por distintos motivos. Esta sema...